Yellow: Woodshop Guided Access In-Person
Woodshop Machine Use Categories
& Office Hours
If you are new to woodworking and don’t know where to begin, sign up for Thursday ‘Office hours’ and we can help you come up with a plan! We also recommend checking out the Shop 61 playlist on our YouTube Channel. Office Hours are the best time to get help designing or choosing a project, to have more involved woodworking questions answered, and to tour the woodshop. Woodshop sessions and office hours are scheduled through our calendar.
BLDG 61 “Guided Access” is time to use the tools. They are NOT group classes. Sessions are COLOR-CODED based on the level of supervision a specific tool requires. Tools in the ‘Yellow’ category require the least staff guidance. Tools in the ‘Green’ category require some guidance. And tools in the ‘Pink’ category require the most supervision. The machines available in each session are listed below. Staff are not able to change your category. It is up to patrons to select which category provides access to the tools they need. If they do not yet know which tools they need, patrons should attend “Office Hours” to make a plan for their project.
Time slots for tools and processes that require LITTLE to NO supervision while working primarily at the workbench in the shop.
Time slots for machines that users may need help setting up and then be run with little supervision.
Time slots for machines and processes that require the closest supervision from BLDG 61 staff.
Time slots for project planning and shop talk
power drills & drivers
project design and planning
Woodshop Safety and Use Requirements
- Users may only register for one Shop 61 event per day. Additional registrations will be canceled.
- Users may only register for one Pink session per week. Additional registrations will be canceled.
- Users may only register for one waitlist.
- Shop time and space is limited. More than one cancellation per month is very disruptive and will result in a one month of loss of access to shop 61.
- Closed-toed shoes are required, no exceptions.
- Eye protection and dust masks are required at all times in the shop. All additional safety gear must be worn as appropriate.
- Long hair must be safely secured and out of the way. Loose-fitting clothing, lanyards, and other dangly items are not permitted.
- Users under the age of 14 must be supervised by a parent, adult guardian, or teacher at all times. BLDG 61 staff is unavailable to provide this direct supervision.
- An acknowledgment of risk and release form [pdf] is signed and on file.
Woodshop Guests and Collaborators
Up to one collaborator/partner/assistant is welcome (and encouraged!) to join you during your session. No additional registrations are required for this guest.
- Monday, Oct 3 2022 Show more dates
- 2:45pm - 3:45pm
- BLDG 61 Makerspace, Main Library
See the BLDG 61 Equipment Catalog for a list of tools and their availability.